It's been my dream for a while now to make a prosthetic hand that is highly adaptable and yet mechanically sound. I've been using Fusion 360 for this task and below is an embedded link to a very basic test.
With these sorts of parametric systems it is very easy to get lost or put parameters in the wrong places. Hence I am ensuring that certain basic elements work before I start to get fancy with nice organic designs.
You can download a version that you can play with at http://a360.co/1BMrjEf
A reminder that I am still running a gofundme campaign for Hollies Hand. The above work I am doing is also connected to my prosthetics work. By having such a flexible hand design system I can make a hand that fits a scanned hand as opposed to fitting the mechanics to each individual hand manually (or more manually anyway).
Here is Hollies hand fundraising page.
If you can't donate then please share with your friends.
Now to fund my continued work on Hollies hand I've chosen to launch a GoFundMe.com campaign.
I also uploaded a video from a test I did on one of the prototypes.
It's quite basic and the torque required on the joints is higher than I would like. I fixed that in version5 but introduced more issues.
Anyway I'll be moving on to a hybrid version with pin joint bones surrounded by 3D printed elastic plastic skin. This would combine the strength of the joints with an elastic outer layer a bit like the flexy hand E-nable hand model. The problem is that it comes at extra cost and complexity. It should set me up well though for when multi-material printers start to mature.