So first of all I’m not dead! 8 months is a long time, so I have some ground to cover.

Firstly my working relationship with Easton broke down after became too unreliable, and seemingly unwilling to use the strengths that he could have bought to the project. Luckily I managed to get him to finish off the remaining Kickstarter arms. Speaking of the Kickstarter arms they are available either through my shop on Shapeways, or as a download from Thingiverse for those ambitious enough to print one for yourself.

Since I didn’t have a functioning business I had to get a job. Luckily it’s local and I’m working with 3D Printing. It’s given me some breathing room to learn new techniques, such as using iMaterialise Magics software.

In my spare time I’ve managed to make some small designs, which are available on Shapeways.

This involve converting pdb protein structure files into printable models.

Some Physics inspired models, of gravity and electron levels.

Biology inspired art pieces are also available.

I am also updating the website and enhancing my social media profile.

 

But the big thing is that I haven’t stopped on the robot hand design, although progress has been slow. I’ve been focused on combining 3d scan data with the robohand mechanics. The first and protoype model is being made for a young girl called Hollie. I finished the first stage of the design this weekend and had her try out some elements of it.

IMG_1602bIMG_1608b

I have yet to add the mechanics to the design. My original plan was touse pins and elastic like my kickstarter hand, but this proved time consuming. Instead I am going to take an idea from the Flexy Robohand model. Instead of the filaflex material though I want to engineer an elastic joint straight out of the Shapeways WSF material. I have some experience from experiments with this material and believe it to be possible. As far as I know this is also the first robohand varient made via Shapeways.

You may also have noticed that Hollies right forearm is shorter than her left forearm, requiring me to create a new mechanism to control the fingers.

IMG_1590b

 

The copying of her left hand was achieved through a multi-stage process involving making a silicone mold and plaster model of both her hands. I then used Autodesk 123d Catch to turn it into viable models. I then used Zbrush, Blender, Meshlab and Meshmixer to make the above design. I plan to use Autodesk Fusion 360 to make the mechanical parts of the arm.

I hope to have the prototype joints completed this week. To try them out next week, and incorporate them into the design. Hopefully by the end of next month I will have a functioning prosthesis to give her.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *