Monthly Archives: July 2011

Ok so the Shapeways stuff has arrived. A little late but it seems they’ve had rather more interest in their Frosted ultra detail than they expected… so if I’ve learned anything from vaguely paying attention to economics… it will get cheaper in future.

So anyway the pictures!

So I haven’t been on in a while, but things have happened! Firstly I moved house, which meant that for a couple of weeks I wasn’t able to do pretty much anything on the hand.

Also my computer was being very very stubborn and windows 7 would freeze reliably a few minutes after start up. I had a back up OS in the form of Ubuntu (natty narwhal edition!), but my favourite modelling program wouldn’t work with it. To get around this I have started using opencad, which is a favourite amongst 3D print hobbyists. This is a parameter driven CSG modeller, which basically means that you type in the model using a sort of code, rather than editing with a mouse. Now this approach has it’s strengths and weaknesses. One strength being able to edit things by editing a parameters file with a few keystrokes. You can also place multiple things precisely very quickly, which can be tedious with a mouse.

(essentially I can put down the exact same holes in line, in every part with a bit of typing rather than fiddly mouse measuring!)

Anyway it doesn’t look so nice as before, and there’s been a learning curve, but I think that for basic modelling I’ll stick with Openscad. More fancy mesh based stuff, or pretty rendering I can do with other programs.

The model I sent to Shapeways!

The model I sent to Shapeways!

 

Other updates. I’ve sent of a complete finger section to Shapeways to be printed. It was actually surprisingly cheap considering that to meet the minimum order size I had to cram more and more stuff in. I might be able to sell stuff on Shapeways at a more reasonable price than I had thought. That will save me a lot of hassle, since they do all the postage and packaging themselves. 😀

Also I’ve got some nice addition cure silicone. Previously I was using condensation, which as the name suggests means water comes out as part of the reaction. This then leads to a volume decrease which may have been a problem. Also it’s transparent so I can see the molds being filled.

Oh I’ve also done some of the legal stuff, which feels weird as I’m no longer un-employed! Now to worry about tax!